Monday, June 6, 2011

Why I like abstraction


I don't know if abstraction is the best word for it but I paint in a form that isn't necessarily true to what we see in the natural or built world. I find it interesting after more than a century of non objective painting, people still struggle with art that doesn't look like something they recognize. While my paintings are based on all that I see and experience i choose to allow the viewer to make whatever connections he or she wishes. Once you put a chair, a flower or anything else too recognizable in the painting you are leading the viewer into a rather specific direction. What I love about non objective or abstract art is the journey it takes me on, where I can see things that connect to my experience. And in really good art it makes subtle or not so subtle changes each time a I see it. So titles are problematic and a distinct challenge. This painting is titled, Good Morning...

4 comments:

Lisa Purdy said...

I like your thinking about abstract. It's always so hard to come up with words!

sophia smith said...

You really have great thought..I am impressed..keep it up..

kamagra 100 Mg

AnneG said...

This is fascinating I love abstract too! You should check out this abstract art- it's so great to have access to the inner mind of such great creatures Endangered Artists

Nick said...

I really like that painting. It has so many vibrant colors in it. Really neat.